I feel like I’m on repeat when I talk about Lebanese food – I love it, I love it, I love it! Amazing salads, grains, hummus, falafel and koftas, all with a squeeze of lemon for that added ‘tang’ – D E L I C I O U S.
G and I had a lazy Saturday and decided that the obvious choice of activity for the afternoon was cooking. We went to the shops and collected a multitude of different ingredients and got started…
We made baba ganoush.
We made hummus.
We cooked falafel and prepared crudités.
And we made halloumi & quinoa fattoush…
I’m going to get on with the recipe because I really can’t wait and the images and taste can tell the rest of the story! Perfect as a side salad at a dinner party, or alternatively a healthy lunch dish on its own. Think this will be a regular addition to my meal plan and you just have to try it!!
2 wholemeal pittas, torn into small pieces
5 tbsp. olive oil
2 lemons, juiced
1 garlic clove, crushed
250g block of halloumi, sliced
250g microwaveable pouch quinoa (I used Jamie Oliver ‘Tomato & Olive Quinoa available at Waitrose!)
350g medium tomatoes, quartered
¾ cucumber, halved, deseeded and sliced into moons
4 spring onions, sliced
Large handful of mint, chopped
1 tbsp. dried dill
– Toss the pitta pieces with 1 tbsp. of oil and spread onto a baking sheet. Grill on high heat for 3-4 minutes until gold and crisp (toss half way through). Set aside.
– Meanwhile, whisk the remaining oil, lemon juice and garlic with salt and pepper. Set aside.
– Heat a large frying pan over high heat and cook the halloumi for a couple of minutes on both sides until golden and crispy.
– Microwave the quinoa following packet instructions, leave to cool.
– In a large mixing bowl toss the quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions, most of the mint, dill and dressing. Season to taste.
– Tip into a serving bowl and top with halloumi, pitta and sprinkle with mint.